Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pumpkin Swiss Roll with Chocolate Chips

I'm falling in love with swiss roll making for one simple reason - baking time is merely 10 mins!  With some leftover pumpkins, I made this pumpkin swiss roll from Kang & You Favourite.


I was trying to replicate an effect like this one here but unfortunately, the chocolate chips were stucked onto the parchment paper when I tried to peel it off.  The cake turned messy and ugly.  It didn't occur to me that chocolates melt.  I need to give myself a slap *piak*

DS2 loves this cake and requested for me to pack some for his school teachers but I explained to him I'll bake a nicer swiss roll for his teachers next time, I promise.

The texture of this cake is soft and fluffy.  DS2 had 2 slices and DD1 ate 1 as she had just finished her lunch.  DD3 is still taking her nap so no chance to try it yet ;-)

Pumpkin Swiss Roll with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients
(A)
4 Egg Yolk
40ml Oil
100g Cake Flour
100g Pumpkin Puree
50ml Water

(B)
5 Egg White
35g Castor Sugar
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method
  1. Combine (A) together until well blended, leave aside.
  2. Beat egg whites with electric beater till frothy, add in cream of tartar and whisk till soft peak.
  3. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks are formed.
  4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  5. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  6. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on the tray and pour the batter into tray.  Bang the pan to release air bubbles.
  7. Bake in preheated oven 200°C for 10 - 12 minutes or till cooked.
  8. When the cake is cooked, leave to cool completely.
  9. Spread a layer of whipped cream/butter cream/jam onto the sponge cake. Roll it up and chill in fridge before serving.

9 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I never try to add pumpkin in any of cakes, look delicious, must try out soon. Thanks for sharing.

tracieMoo said...

haha.. one of the things that happen when we alter people's recipe :P It often happens to me too.. I've never had pumpkin swiss roll. It sounds interesting and yummy with chocolate chips though. Nowonder your kids like it! I see that you really have got into swiss roll making :) You make me feel like doing it too but my swiss rolls always never turn out right :(

Pei-Lin said...

Ooo ... See, I've told you before! Persistence has paid you back with reward eventually! Your Swiss roll looks super yummy and soft! =)

ann low said...

Mmm...looks so good to eat with the pumpkin puree in it. Will try to make this after Chinese New Year. Thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia, let me how how it turn out for you if you make this ;-)

Tracie, it was because of your "Swiss Story" that got me started ;-) You were so persistent and attempted so many times! I'm impressed!

Pei-Lin, you're right! Persistence and practice do make a difference.

Anncoo, looking forward to your swiss roll. BTW, love all your ice cream rolls, very unique!

chuany said...

today i made this, here is mine http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs367.snc3/23649_1365993946723_1137880303_1611033_7864351_n.jpg

Tx for sharing ^^

Blessed Homemaker said...

chuany, your swiss roll looks good :)

Casey said...

i tried out your recipe, the swiss roll came out super soft and fluffy, thanks very much!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Casey,
I'm glad it turned out well for you.