Thursday, July 16, 2009

Steamed Rice Flour Cake (Wan Koh Kueh)

This is a long overdue post. I made this 2 weeks ago but forgot to blog about it. As a child, I've always like Wan Koh Kueh, especially so with orange sugar, loads of them. I've been searching for a recipe but most recipes I found requires wine yeast. I do not have wine yeast and do not know where to find them, so I had to give all these recipes a miss.

I finally found one recipe without wine yeast but using a starter dough instead. This recipes uses double action baking powder, after mixing in the ingredients, leave to cool, add more baking powder and let it stand for 1 hour. Add sugar to mix and pour into mould, then stand again for another 30 mins before steaming.

Followed the recipe closely, even the timing but my kueh didn't turn out well. Maybe because my double acting baking powder was close to expiry, thus losing it's effect?

I'm not posting the recipe here but will definitely try it again with my newly bought baking powder to see if this recipe works. If it doesn't, then I've got to look for new recipes to try.


No comments: