Sunday, July 12, 2009

Durian Puffs

DH's office had a fruit party 2 days ago and there were so much left overs. His colleague packed him 4 boxes of 猫山王 durians (SGD15/kg) but not a durian lover (in fact, he hates durian), he only brought back 1 box and gave the other 3 boxes away to his other colleagues.

I'm not a durian lover but I don't dislike them. DS2 takes after his father whereas DD1 takes after me. It's the first time I introduce durian to DD3, she grimaced at her first bite but later came back to ask for more. So, it runs in the family, the girls don't mind while the boys loathe it.

There were 15 pcs of durian in that box. DD1 doesn't feel like eating any but I ate 5. Left with 10 pcs, I do not wish to stuff them all into my stomach and get a sore throat later. I googled and found this recipe. I did not follow the choux pastry recipe but used the recipe from our local DJ instead.


For a start, I tried scooping it with my cookie scoop but it's a mistake. The choux pastry was very sticky and refused to fall out from the cookie scoop. Argh!!! In the end, I just used 2 teaspoons to scoop, works better that way.

I didn't have a big tray so I used 3 small trays and yield 33 mini puffs. However, the kids were too eager and could wait for the fillings so they attacked the plain puffs. It's actually quite nice on it's own.


The fillings seem too much for the puffs so I kept about 2/5 portion of the fillings back into the fridge. Will have to finish up this batch first before making another, probably tomorrow or the day after.


Posting the durian fillings recipe with my own adjustments and I've adjusted the temperature and baking time for the choux pastry. For original recipes, pls click on the links below.

Note to myself: I'll use 250g durian pulps and 125ml whipping cream next time as I prefer a stronger durian flavour. Will omit gelatin too.

Durian Puffs

Durian Fillings
Ingredients
200ml of non-diary whipping cream
250g durian pulps
2 tsp gelatin powder
3 tbsp of hot water (to dissolve gelatin powder)

Method

  1. Whip up whipping cream to a soft peak.
  2. Add in durian pulps and melted gelatin powder and mix well.
  3. Put in fridge till ready to fill the puffs.
Puff
Ingredients A
85g butter
200g water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Ingredients B
120g Plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder(double acting)

Ingredients C
3 eggs
1/4 tsp vanilla oil

Method
  1. Cook Ingredients A in a pot and bring to a boil, turn off fire.
  2. Add Ingredient B and mix into a smooth dough.
  3. Leave dough to cool, transfer to mixing bowl and add eggs gradually, mix till well blended and smooth.
  4. Spoon a spoon full of dough mixture, push it onto a baking tray by using another spoon. If you want, you may also use a piping bag.
  5. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 200C for 20 mins then another 180C for 5 - 10 mins till golden brown.
  6. When puff cool down, slit an opening at the side by using a pair of scissors, fill it with fillings.

3 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I dun like durians that much, but I love durian puffs! Yours look fantastic.

Sis E said...

aiyo, then DH should have swing by his in-law's house and leave the 3 boxes there!

B.Karen Goh MM said...

Looks Yummy! I think too much trouble for me to make them.... I shall attempt something simpler...