Yes, this is a chocolate cake with mayonnaise. It is a recipe without eggs and fats. And what I like most about this cake is, no mixer needed!
I've baked this a few months ago in a loaf pan but today, I was lazy and didn't want to wait too long for the cake to bake so I piped them into my mini donut and bundt pans. I made quite abit of boo-boo when I did this cake.
- Recipe asked for baking soda but I misread and used baking powder instead. Upon realising my mistake, I try to salvage by scooping up some baking powder which is already mixed with the cocoa powder. Then I added 1 tsp of baking soda to the mixture. As there were both baking soda and an overdose of baking powder, the cake rose up by double the size.
- Instead of adding sugar to the dry mix, I added into the mayonnaise.
- My pans were not entirely dry although I did dry it with kitchen towels. I also greased them before pouring in the batter but the cakes still get stucked and I couldn't unmould them.
Despite the silly mistakes, the cake still taste yummy.
Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
1 tsp vanilla essence
120g all-purpose plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Line a 7" square baking tin with parchment paper (no need to grease).
- Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda together.
- Place the sugar and sifted flour mixture into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayo, vanilla essence and buttermilk till smooth.
- Add mayo mixture to the flour and mix till the batter is smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake at 170 deg C for 20-25 minutes.
If you have no buttermilk, you can add 1-1/2 tsp of lemon juice to a glass of milk to make up to 125ml.