Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pandan Kaya Cake II

With the eggs saga, I have another 5 eggs waiting to be utilised and the first thing that came to my mind was CHIFFON cake! Since my Pandan Kaya Cake was well received, I decide to make it again. It was a mad rush as I made this on the same day as the Condensed Milk Pound Cake. Moral of the story is, do not attempt to be too ambitious!

I do not have many gadgets at home so I just DIY and use toothpicks as a guideline for me to slice the cake into layers.

A 4 eggs recipe yields a tall cake and if I want to layer with cream/kaya, this recipe yields 2 cakes. I made one in a heartshaped pan, for SL's family.

Instead of spreading the kaya on top which I did previously, I decided to do it in the pan, upside down. Got this idea from Table for 2. I didn't bother to slice the cake smaller so I just use a small knife to push the edges in for the kaya to flow through.

Again, the mess I had... lots of cleaning up to do after this.... sigh...

Instead of adding colourings to the kaya layer, I blended some pandan leaves with water to get a natural green. I can call this an all natural cake (minus the cream of tartar) with no preservatives and artificial flavour ;-) I should have used more pandan leaves for a darker green kaya layer.

Pandan Kaya Cake II
Ingredients
(A)
4 Large Egg Yolks
40g Castor Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt

(B)
60ml Corn/Sunflower Oil
130 ml Pandan Juice
** blend 8 pandan leaves with 140ml water

(C)
150g Cake Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
*sifted together

(D)
4 Large Egg Whites
40g Castor Sugar
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method

  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add pandan juice. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into a 8" round pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Bake at pre-heated oven of 170 deg.C for 15mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 30 mins.
  11. Reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
  12. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.
  13. Layer into 4 layers and set aside for further use.

Kaya Layer
Ingredients
(A)
1000g water
280g sugar
80g butter

(B)
400g pandan juice
400g coconut milk
120g corn flour
1 packet/13g agar agar powder (plain)

Method

  1. Stir (A) together in a pot and boil over low flame.
  2. Mix (B) together and add into (1). Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and boils.
  3. Let the kaya cool slightly before icing the cake.

To assemble the cake upside down

  1. Pour 1/2 portion of kaya in first, then layer with cake.
  2. Pour in balance kaya and layer with cake.
  3. Using a small plastic bag, pipe in the kaya at the edge.
  4. Chill cake in fridge before serving.

To assemble the cake upright

  1. Place a layer of cake at base of cake pan (I use one with removable base).
  2. Pour in 1/2 portion of kaya and layer with 2nd layer of cake.
  3. Pour in balance kaya and leave to set.
  4. Chill cake in fridge before serving.

17 comments:

Shopaholic2802 said...

Looks awesome!!! But alot of work man!!!!

Blessed Homemaker said...

You bet! It was alot of work but definitely worth the effort. You should try making this one day ;-)

leez said...

Wow... I really want to try this. Just wondering..
1) u mention to use a chiffon cake pan.. the one with a tube in the middle? But you seems to have used a normal round pan..
2) i see u recommend to cut the cake up to 4 layers.. 2 layers is ok as well?
3) for kaya layer.. how many pandan leaves did u used to yield 400grm juice?

Thanks!

Liz

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sorry if I've caused some confusion. I've made the changes in my recipe.

Depends on how you want to assemble the cake. If you do it with a cake pan/cake ring, I'll suggest you use a 2 or 3 eggs recipe instead of 4. If you use 4 eggs, it'll be too tall with all the kaya layering. Of course, you can always slice it into 2 layers.

I didn't count the pandan leave but I think you can use about 7 - 9 leaves to blend with 100ml water and mix together with balance 300ml to make up 400ml.

airenchan said...

Hi, I read your cream cheese chiffon cupcakes. If you wanted to turn those cupcakes of your upside down, you need a stronger cupcake liners, you can try with the one you are having but I used the brown paper ones. You only need to thread a piece of kitchen twine with a knot at one end through the base of your paper cups. After the cakes are done hold the thread and tie the cupcakes onto a broomstick rest horizontally. Ta..da, done.

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

You really are good at baking ! I love Pandan Kaya cake alot.

Blessed Homemaker said...

airenchan,
Thanks for your tip!

FT Housefly,
I love this cake too! Now that I know how to bake this, no more store bought cakes!

WendyinKK said...

Oh now I see the linkback to my post.
Thanks!!!

Ur cake looks delish.. nice thick layers of everything. Sometimes I'm too lazy to use toothpick, so the layers get all uneven. kekekeke. I've bought myself a Wilton cake layer cutter, but haven't been using it yet.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, now I also don't bother to use toothpicks :P I just estimate and slice, so far so good. I was contemplating if I should get a Wilton too but after some thoughts, decided against it as it's another gadget that may end up as a white elephant.

Anonymous said...

May i use non-stick pan to bake this cake and is it ok to use a 10" pan?

Thanks
annie

Anonymous said...

Wanted to try this as my son b'day cake.

can i add coconut milk to the sponge cake recipe, 130ml pandan juice change to 120ml coconut milk + 10ml pandan juice?

Thank you
annie

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Annie,
Yes, you may replace pandan juice with coconut milk but you won't get a nice green if you are using only 10ml pandan juice, unless you are using concentrated pandan juice.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Annie,
This is a chiffon cake recipe so no, you can't use a non stick pan. You can use a 10" cake pan but do adjust your baking temp and time. Also, your cake will be shorter.

Michelle said...

Hi! If I want to assemble to cake upright, how can I cover the sides of the cake with kaya? Do I have to remove the cake right then assemble the cake?

Thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Michelle,
If you look at my pics, this cake was assembled upright, but you'll need to use a cake pan with removal base/springform.

You need to use a bigger cake pan. Eg, you bake your cake in a 7", assemble your cake using a 8" cake pan.

Also, I personally prefer to assemble the cake upside down using a regular cake pan. In this way, I don't have to worry about leakage.

Anonymous said...

v luan

haha

400g juice or 400ml

Blessed Homemaker said...

400g = 400ml water