Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Condensed Milk Pound Cake

Drat! What can be worst than over-turning a tray of eggs fresh from the market, right in the middle of the road??

The first thing I did when I got home was to check on the damages. 7 out of 10 cracked! I had originally planned to make Rei's Condensed Milk Pound Cake but not in the morning as my morning schedule is usually very tight. With some cracked eggs, I prepared the ingredients hastily. For pound cakes, I usually do not like to take out the mixer but since I'm rushing for time, I decided to use it. This marks my 2nd mistake of the day. The butter were not softened to room temperature and the sugar splattered all over the counter top!! Darn!!! What a day! Now I can only pray for the cake to turn out well.

The loaf pan I used is quite big so I didn't get a good height but it helps in reducing the baking time.

Despite reducing the sugar, it is still too sweet for me. DD1 loves this cake and asked for 2nd serving. This is a soft and moist cake but it's just not my kind of cake. For those who love pound cakes, I'm sure you'll like this cake.

All packed up, ready to be given away :)

Ingredients
120g Butter (good quality butter)
40g Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup or 100g Condensed Milk

120g Cake Flour
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
*Sift together

2 Eggs

Method

  1. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 170 deg.C
  2. In a bowl, using an electric whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add in salt, vanilla essence and condensed milk, whisk till incorporated.
  3. Add the sifted dry ingredients and beat until no traces of flour remains.
  4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each additions.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 170 deg.C for 40 - 45 mins or till top is brown and skewer inserted comes out clean.

7 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I did this earlier too, a nice cake but very sweet, will not make it again.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Agree with you, too sweet for my liking and like you, I won't be making it again unless it's for give away.

Anonymous said...

Hey blessed homemaker,

What a lovely cake u have made! It looks just like the sara lee pound cake. And my kiddos love pound cakes..
When i saw this post, i want to make this cake immediately, but you reckon it's too sweet?
I don't have a sweet tooth too, so should I further reduce the sugar to 30g?
Tks, cupcake

Cookie said...

From the look of it, it's very fine and soft.

Is it only the sweetness that you do not like?

Cookie said...

agh, I missed the part of mishap.

Look at the positive side - the fate of the eggs were more tragic!!!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Cupcake,
Yes, this is very much like Sara Lee pound cake, if not better ;-)
I would suggest you use 35g instead as reducing too much sugar may affect the texture of the cake.

Cookie,
I'm basically not a pound cake person so even if this cake is not sweet, I probably won't be making it again :P Other than the sweetness, it's really soft and moist, that's why I think any pound cake lover will appreciate this cake better than me.

Aparna said...

Hi, Just came across your blog... just wanted to say that if you do not want it sweet, then just dont add any sugar at all. Thats because the condensed milk is sweet in itself! So you do not need to add sugar.

Hope this helps!