My girlfriend, I, attempted a sweet potato bread and I thought of adapting her recipe. After surfing the net, I found another recipe using the same amount of flour but double the amount of sweet potato. Yes, I decide to use this instead as I prefer a more vibrant coloured bread :)
I divided the dough into 3 portions and had them plaited. I was hoping to get a tall bread but it was a mistake. I should have used up 3/4 portion for the loaf and the balance 1/4 separately as the bread deflated sightly when I was slicing it. Maybe it's time I get myself a pullman loaf pan? Oh, what a lame excuse :P
The texture of this bread is soft and fluffy. Bread stays soft on the 2nd day too :)
I kept 1/4 portion in the freezer and we had toast bread for our tea break, YUM!
I made a few changes to the recipe. Instead of using whipping cream, I replaced it with UHT milk. As the sweet potatoes were not cooked till very soft, I didn't mash but sent them to the food processor with 100ml milk and I reduced the sugar slightly.
Sweet Potato Bread
400g bread flour
220g sweet potato, peeled, sliced, steamed and mashed
40g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant active yeast
160ml fresh milk
60g unsalted butter
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
- Let it proof in machine for 45 - 60 mins or till double in size.
- When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions and shape into balls. Let the dough rest for 15 mins.
- Roll out each portion into a long flat oval shape, then roll up lengthwise, swiss roll style to form a long rope. Pinch to seal all sides.
- Plait the four long doughs. Pinch and seal the ends tightly. Tuck the ends down and place the plaited dough into a loaf pan (greased or lined). Proof for another 45-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C - 180C for 25 to 30mins.
- Remove bread to cool on rack completely.