Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweet Potato Bread

Sometime back, I bought some purple sweet potatoes as I wanted to make a purple sweet potato bread using the 17hour bread method. However, while waiting for the recipe, the sweet potatoes turned bad and I had to discard them :-(

My girlfriend, I, attempted a sweet potato bread and I thought of adapting her recipe. After surfing the net, I found another recipe using the same amount of flour but double the amount of sweet potato. Yes, I decide to use this instead as I prefer a more vibrant coloured bread :)

I divided the dough into 3 portions and had them plaited. I was hoping to get a tall bread but it was a mistake. I should have used up 3/4 portion for the loaf and the balance 1/4 separately as the bread deflated sightly when I was slicing it. Maybe it's time I get myself a pullman loaf pan? Oh, what a lame excuse :P

The texture of this bread is soft and fluffy. Bread stays soft on the 2nd day too :)

I kept 1/4 portion in the freezer and we had toast bread for our tea break, YUM!

I made a few changes to the recipe. Instead of using whipping cream, I replaced it with UHT milk. As the sweet potatoes were not cooked till very soft, I didn't mash but sent them to the food processor with 100ml milk and I reduced the sugar slightly.

Sweet Potato Bread
Ingredients
400g bread flour
220g sweet potato, peeled, sliced, steamed and mashed
40g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant active yeast
160ml fresh milk
60g unsalted butter


Method


  1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
  2. Let it proof in machine for 45 - 60 mins or till double in size.
  3. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
  4. Divide dough into 4 equal portions and shape into balls. Let the dough rest for 15 mins.
  5. Roll out each portion into a long flat oval shape, then roll up lengthwise, swiss roll style to form a long rope. Pinch to seal all sides.
  6. Plait the four long doughs. Pinch and seal the ends tightly. Tuck the ends down and place the plaited dough into a loaf pan (greased or lined). Proof for another 45-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
  7. Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C - 180C for 25 to 30mins.
  8. Remove bread to cool on rack completely.

7 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Nice soft loaf. :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's a nice soft loaf. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

can i just place all the ingredients inside the bread machine and let it do everything? will it affect the taste/ texture? thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Of course you can, that's what I did too.

nelle said...

Thank you so much for recipe, my family went nuts over it and finished the whole loaf within 15 minutes. The kids said that it was the best bread that they had ever had for infinity and beyond!!!!!! ahahahaha!!!! I threw all the ingredients in the bread maker and baked it in there too, apart from being a little deflated, it was gorgeous. The only negative that I got from this was the 'ow it's hot!!!!. Thank you so much and kudos to you for sharing your recipes.

stef de fla said...

Gorgeous bread! It really looks like a good soft brioche. I might steal your idea of making a purple bread.

Blessed Homemaker said...

stef de fla,
Thanks for visiting.

You might need to add a bit more liquid if using purple sweet potato.