Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Garlicky Potato Wedges

I love garlic and when I saw this recipe, I knew I just have to try it. However, DH is not a fan of garlic and so are the kids. It took me 3 months to convince myself to give it a try. The wedges didn't turn out crisp enough as I suspect the following:
  • Instead of cutting into 12 wedges, I cut mine into 8 pieces only so they are relatively "fat".
  • I roasted the potato wedges together with the chicken, thus I used a smaller baking pan and the wedges were placed very close to one another.

I baked them at 250C for 30 mins but they are still quite raw looking. It took another 20 mins to get the sides brown.

DS2 took a bite and didn't want a second bite as he doesn't like mushy food. Surprisingly, DH ate a few pieces, probably because I didn't tell him this is made with loads of garlic :P

Verdict: Delicious but too oily for me, will have to reduce the oil slightly.

We had these wedges with roasted chicken (one of DH's favourite), yummy!


Garlicky Potato Wedges
(adapted from here)
Ingredients
6 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Russet potatoes, each cut into 12 wedges
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of black pepper

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degree celsius. Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl and microwave until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to a rimmed baking sheet, tilting the sheet to coat.
  2. Add the potatoes to the bowl with the remaining oil mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave on high power until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
  3. Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 40 to 50 minutes.

2 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I guess you will need to slightly cook the potato, it will shorten baking time..

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for your suggestion but I did cook the potatoes in the microwave for a few mins before sending them to the oven. Don't understand why.