Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Matcha Snow-Skin Mooncakes

With compliments from SL and Aunty A. Nope, they didn't make these but they bought most of the ingredients. From fried glutinous rice flour to white lotus paste to shortening. They've been really generous and I really appreciate their thoughts! Thanks dear!

I've been using another recipe with Hong Kong flour but I don't have any at home so I attempted another recipe that Aunty A recommended.

It is relatively easy to make snow-skin mooncakes but the hassle is putting on and removing the plastic gloves. A lot of time spend removing when I roll out the dough, and putting it back on when I shape it and pressing it into the moulds.

I've seen many bloggers using their disney cutters and egg moulds to make snow-skin mooncakes. I tried with little luck. It's easy to unmould with lots of flour dusted on the mould but the mooncake has white specks of flour on it. If I do not dust enough flour, the mooncake gets stucked and unmoulding is a problem. This particular Bear moonie has a distorted face because I had to insert my finger in to unmould it.

I like the texture of this snow-skin as it's soft and no thawing is needed.

Yields 8 big pieces or 20 small pieces (I had 22 pieces though)
Ingredients
(A)
95g Fried Glutinous Rice Flour/Gao Fen
120g Icing Sugar
*sifted

(B)
1 tsp matcha (green tea powder)
55ml warm water
100ml cold water
**Mix matcha with warm water, stir well and add cold water

(C)
15g Shortening

(D)
400g lotus paste

Method
  1. Mix Ingredients A and Ingredients B to form dough.
  2. Rub in shortening till get a smooth dough.
  3. Sprinkle some fried glutinous rice flour on working table.
  4. Wrap lotus paste with dough, roll into a ball.
  5. Lightly flour the mould.
  6. Place mooncake in mould , flatten, dislodge the mooncake.
  7. Chill in fridge before serving.

Note
Use 30g skin + 2og filling for small mould. I usually roll the skin into a bigger circumference, then wrap with lotus paste and pinch away the excess.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow wow i m v impressed ;)) keep it up ;))

Blessed Homemaker said...

I'm sure you can do it too ;-)

Cookie said...

I am sure the kids are excited about the pooh moonies.

What you can go to avoid the white flecks of flour on the mooncake is to use a brush to dust on the flour sparingly. This way there's only enough flour to prevent the mooncake from sticking to the mould.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Most definitely! I just made a batch yesterday using Chip N Dale cutters and the kids went goo-goo-ga-ga over them! Hahaha!

Thanks for the tip, I'm done with moonies this year. Will keep this in mind.