I've made this recipe many times, using both whipping cream and evaporated milk (original recipe calls for whipping cream). The end result is a moist and soft cake, especially the one using whipping cream. With no whipping cream and evaporated milk, I decided to make do with fresh milk instead.
The end result is still soft and moist but somewhat different from using whipping cream. Nevertheless, it is still tasty and DD1 wanted to give some to our neighbour J, which of course we did ;-)
I've reduced the sugar by almost 1/2 as the bananas are over-riped and sweetened naturally. I prefer to use over-riped bananas so that I can cut down on my sugar.
180 gm. Butter
100 gm. Fine sugar
2 nos. Extra large Eggs - beaten lightly
250 gm. Cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
220 gm. Bananas - mashed
50 gm. Dairy whip cream (can substitute with evaporated milk)
2 - 3 bananas, sliced (optional)
Some walnuts (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.
- Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.
- Add in milk, mashed bananas and banana essence and mix well.
- Add in cake flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and beat for a while only.
- Pour into an 8" round tray, and arrange sliced bananas on top.
- Bake at 175C for about 50 to 60 mins. or until cooked.