Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake


Yes, this is a chocolate cake with mayonnaise. It is a recipe without eggs and fats. And what I like most about this cake is, no mixer needed!

I've baked this a few months ago in a loaf pan but today, I was lazy and didn't want to wait too long for the cake to bake so I piped them into my mini donut and bundt pans. I made quite abit of boo-boo when I did this cake.

  1. Recipe asked for baking soda but I misread and used baking powder instead. Upon realising my mistake, I try to salvage by scooping up some baking powder which is already mixed with the cocoa powder. Then I added 1 tsp of baking soda to the mixture. As there were both baking soda and an overdose of baking powder, the cake rose up by double the size.
  2. Instead of adding sugar to the dry mix, I added into the mayonnaise.
  3. My pans were not entirely dry although I did dry it with kitchen towels. I also greased them before pouring in the batter but the cakes still get stucked and I couldn't unmould them.



Despite the silly mistakes, the cake still taste yummy.

Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
110g mayonnaise
125ml buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence
120g all-purpose plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
110g sugar

Method
  1. Line a 7" square baking tin with parchment paper (no need to grease).
  2. Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda together.
  3. Place the sugar and sifted flour mixture into a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the mayo, vanilla essence and buttermilk till smooth.
  5. Add mayo mixture to the flour and mix till the batter is smooth.
  6. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake at 170 deg C for 20-25 minutes.
Note
If you have no buttermilk, you can add 1-1/2 tsp of lemon juice to a glass of milk to make up to 125ml.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Ya! another recipe without need of a mixer! I will definitely try this out! Tks for posting it!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Yes, something you can try ;-) Another recipe without mixer will be the lemon yogurt cake.