I made some buns with the frozen red bean paste that had been sitting in my freezer since April :P I've always wanted to make Anpan Bread but kept forgetting to thaw the red bean paste.
When I did the Matcha bread, I used only 1 egg. Original recipe calls for eggs in weight but I was lazy to measure out the egg, thus I just throw in the whole egg. Today, I decided to use 1.5 eggs and reduce milk slightly but the dough turned out very sticky, almost impossible to shape. I had to keep oiling my hands and dust the counter top with flour. I weighed the salt (I didn't the last time) but it turned out too salty. The next time I make this, I'm definitely going to reduce the salt content.
I started off being very generous with the paste and realised that I don't have enough fillings for the buns. Those without sesame seeds are just plain milk bread without fillings.
And I did something fanciful, flower buns :) And the 3 that looks like caterpillar, I filled them up with nutella spread. DD1 likes the look of the flower buns but prefer eating the nutella bread.
I don't usually egg wash my bread but since I've got 1/2 egg balance, I use it to stick the sesame seeds and did the glazing.
This bread stays soft even on the 3rd day, kept at the counter in transparent plastic bag ^-^The paste is slightly too dry, must remember not to over dry it next time.
Anpan Bread (milk bread recipe)
240g fresh/UHT milk
50g caster sugar
500g bread flour
2tsp Instant yeast
70g butter (unsalted)
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
- Let it proof in machine for 30 - 45 mins or till double in size.
- When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
- Shape into small balls and let the dough rest for 10 -15 mins.
- Roll out dough and wrap with red bean paste. Shape as required and let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 to 35mins.
- Remove bread to cool on rack completely.