I have so many new recipes on hand to try out but I always stick to my regular white bread recipe which is just so quick and easy. To me, that's convenience. However, today I decided to go for a "recipe hunt" and shortlisted HHB's milk loaf.
I let the machine do the kneading and after 15 mins, I stopped the machine and let it knead for another cycle. This is because 1 cycle kneading always fail the pane test.
If you poke your finger into the dough and the indent stays, this means your dough has risen enough and it's time for you to give it a punch down.
After releasing the air in the dough, I shaped them into small balls and let it proof for another 10 mins. Then shape accordingly and place them into the baking pans and let it proof for another 45 mins or till double in size.
I shaped these with DD3 in my arms as she was really clingy and cranky. While proving for the 2nd time, the skin of 2 buns (on the right) tore and went out of shape. Moral of the story is, do shape your buns with two free hands.
I had wanted to add some red bean paste into it but I forgot to thaw the frozen paste thus decide to make it plain. My kids love this bread. I doubled the recipe but adjusted the liquid and I didn't follow the step on adding butter last. Please refer to the link if you prefer to use the original recipe.
Matcha Milk Loaf
Matcha Milk Loaf
Ingredient(original recipe from here)
260g fresh/UHT milk
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
500g bread flour
2tsp Instant yeast
70g butter (unsalted)
4 tsp matcha (green tea powder)
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
- Let it proof in machine for 30 - 45 mins or till double in size.
- When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
- Roll out dough and shape into small balls. Let the doughs rest and relax for 10 mins.
- Shape as required and let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 45-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 to 35mins.
- Remove bread to cool on rack completely.