Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sausage bread

A few days ago, I brought the kids to the supermarket for grocery shopping. DD1 chose a sausage bread for her breakfast. The buns don't look fresh so I promised her I'll bake her some one day. As I don't usually stock up on sausages, I bought a pack that day.

With that promise, I made some sausage bread yesterday for our breakfast today. As usual, I used the machine to knead the dough and let it proof inside. I made 9 buns instead of the recommended 12 as I do not have enough space in my baking pan to accommodate so many and I prefer not to bake on 2 racks.

Shaping the bread is relatively easy as the dough is easy to handle (I used slightly lesser liquid).

I did 9 buns though I'll prefer to make 10 since it comes in a pack of 10s. Now I've got 1 sausage sitting in my freezer.

Freshly baked buns, looks yummy and kids are thrilled!

DH is not a fan of sausages but still, he ate one for his breakfast this morning. Thanks dear!


Do check out dailydelicious's blog for step-by-step hand kneading instructions and pics.

Sausage Bread
(Makes 8 - 12 pieces)
Ingredients
300g Bread Flour
1 tsp Instant dried yeast
10g Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
30g Unsalted butter (soften)
200ml One egg plus whole milk
8 - 12 Sausages

Method
  1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
  2. Let it proof in machine for 30 - 45 mins or till double in size.
  3. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
  4. Cut the dough into 9 pieces (approx 60g each), roll into a ball and let them rest for 10 - 15 minutes.
  5. Using a rolling pin to roll the dough into an oval shape, place the sausage in the middle and cut both side of the dough into 7 - 8 strips. Fold the strips alternating the left and right over the sausage.
  6. Let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
  7. Bake at pre-heated oven at 200C for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.

12 comments:

Talita said...

Looks gorgeous!! So soft dough!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Talita,
Thanks for dropping by. I visited your blog and have shortlisted some recipes to try ;-)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Just like to say hi, you are a good baker, this sausage bread has nicely wrapped, will explore your blog more..

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for dropping by at my blog :) I'm still a novice, learning along the way.

Cookie said...

Wanna say a BIG thank u for posting this pix - I finally know how to do the nice pleats on sausage bun!

I am gonna to try it out soon!

Cheers!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Cookie,
Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm glad the pic helps. Do let me know how this turn out for you :)

Cookie said...

hihi,
I have made this over the weekends... I only want to say that I need alot more practice before I can get it nice nice like yours *blush*

Food For Tots said...

Your bread looks great with the cheese toppings! Well done!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Food for Tots,
Thanks for visiting my blog :)

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

These hotdog buns look wonderful !Hope I can bake like you

Blessed Homemaker said...

FT Housefly,
I'm sure you can!

Pete said...

Ahhh, this is nice. Thanks for the tips. Will definately try that next time! LOL!