Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Simple Agar Agar (Batik style)


In addition to the chocolate banana cake, I made some agar agar for the gathering too. I had wanted to make a rainbow agar agar but after doing 4 layers, I still have 2/3 agar agar mixture in my pot and I was running short of time. I need to leave home in an hour's time and I'm sure I won't have enough time to complete this. I left the agar agar to set and cut them into shreds. Then I poured the balance 2/3 agar agar mixture into the mould with the shredded agar agar and sent it into the fridge to set.

You may be able to see some rainbow effect here, not very obvious though.

I don't know what to call this but I thought it looks a bit like batik cloth so I'm just going to call it batik agar agar :P

Batik Agar Agar
Ingredients
1 packet (12g) agar agar powder
1000ml water
200g caster sugar
Some colourings (I used only 3 colours and left 1 layer plain)

Method
  1. Dissolve one packet of agar agar powder in 1 litre of water. Add 200g of sugar, stir and bring to boil over low heat.
  2. Scoop out 1/3 portion and measure out into 4 equal parts, add desired colourings. Keep the balance 2/3 mixture warm by using low fire.
  3. Pour the first layer into a cake pan/container and leave it to harden slightly.
  4. Add the 2nd layer of agar agar and leave to harden slightly. Do the same for the 3rd and 4th layer.
  5. Leave to cool completely. When it is set, remove and cut into shreds.
  6. Put the shredded agar agar into a cake pan, then pour in the balanced 2/3 warmed mixture.
  7. Leave to cool before putting into the fridge to set.

Notes for rainbow agar agar
If the layer gets too hard, the next layer will not stick. You can simply use a fork to lightly scratch the surface before adding the next layer.

7 comments:

Irene said...

This is really good! I had so much of this that my MIL kept looking at me everything I put my hand out for more.. ;-p

Blessed Homemaker said...

Really? I'm glad you like it :)

delia said...

it's been quite long since i last made this agar-agar. we call this magic mirror.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Delia, thanks for dropping by my blog. Magic mirror sounds cool!

WendyinKK said...

May I suggest u put in some coconut milk or evaporated milk into the main agar mixture.
My cousins made this before, and the colour really came out well amongst the white background.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure a white base will bring out the colours of the shredded agar agar but I started off wanting to make a rainbow agar agar. Will definitely use a white base next time :)

Anonymous said...

thank you sooo much u saved my life from the horrible home ec teacher. thank you