Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mixed Berries Chiffon Cake


This was on offer and since DH asked for it upon seeing it on TV commercial, I bought 2 packs from the store. With some frozen blueberries, I attempted a mixed berries chiffon cake with this juice.

I reduced the sugar slightly since the juice is already sweentened. While whisking the egg whites, I got distracted and the whites were slightly over-whipped as they had somehow curdled but there was another 1/3 portion of sugar not added in yet. Turned my mixer to the lowest speed to incorporate the balance sugar. When I folded in the flour mixture, they don't mix well due to the curdled egg whites. I just had to keep my fingers crossed that the cake will turn out fine.


Upon unmoulding, this is what I get. Such a disappointing sight. The berries had all sunken to the bottom. Could it be due to the fact that I've used frozen berries instead of fresh ones? My cheese chiffon cake wth fresh blueberries turned out well using fresh berries.

I still remember Sister E commenting on my fried fish at my parents. She said given her, she'll probably throw the fish away but I still had the cheek to post in my blog. Told her this blog is not about my success stories but also to share my failures. Maybe some experts out there after reading my blog may give me some advices on how to fry the perfert fish ;-)

Back to this chiffon cake, although the egg whites were over whipped, the cake still turned out soft and fluffy, just slightly shorter.


If you are game enough to try this, I suggest you use fresh berries instead of frozen ones.

Mixed Berries Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
30g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
50g corn oil
150ml mixed berries juice
80g blueberries, coated with flour

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
*Sifted

(C)
5 egg whites
30g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method

  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add juice. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well. Add blueberries and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Bake at 170 deg.C for 15mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 30 mins.
  11. Reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
  12. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.

3 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

I used the same blueberry juice for my chiffon cake too ;)

Cookie said...

Hi,

I agree with you - why need to hide the failures if others can learn from it?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Most definitely ! We all learn through failurs and I've had my fair share of it :P