I decided to make something "light" and immediately chiffon cake came into my mind. I've always wanted to make a marble chiffon cake and had some recipes added to my Favorites. However, I was lazy and didn't turn on the lappy to check out the new recipes so I used back my Banana Chiffon Cake recipe instead.
I made 2 cakes, 1 in 8"round and I've got some balance for a mini chiffon pan. The mini chiffon cake turned out well, but when I unmoulded the 8", I was disappointed to see a sunken cake :-( I don't understand, if the oven temperature is too high, then why is my mini chiffon cake alright??
I was hesitating if I should bring this cake for the gathering but I'll like some advice from the experts. Also, because of this failure, I had to cook something else and decided on the Fish Paste Egg Roll.
Marble Chiffon Cake
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
50g corn oil
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda
20ml warm water
2 tsp Cocoa Powder
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
- Add oil and salt, whisk and add water. Stir well.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
- Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
- Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
- Remove 1/3 of the batter and add into mixture (C), mix well.
- Spoon the plain batter into a baking pan alternating with chocolate batter.
- Swirl a chopstick in the batter for a few rounds.
- Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
- Bake at 170 deg.C for 15mins.
- Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 30 mins.
- Reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
- Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.
Maybe you want to try Grace's recipe? I've also bookmarked another Marble Chiffon recipe from Florence. Looks good. :)http://wlteef.blogspot.com/2009/04/marble-chiffon.html
These are the 2 recipes in my Favorites but I was lazy and didn't turn on the system for the recipe :P
Enjoy reading your blog.I interest to bake chiffon cake and realized that you do not need a chiffon cake tube. Can I use with the removable base cake tin? At the moment I not intend to get chiffon cake tube yet.
I new in baking. I had a silly question to ask. Your recipe using 4 egg yolks and 5 eggs white. What do you do for the balance of 1 egg yolk?
Thank you in advance.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Yes, you may use a cake pan with removable base but do remember to wrap the outside with foil in case of leakage.
I used up my frozen egg whites. The yolks were used to make ice cream ;-) Alternatively, you may just use a 4 eggs recipe and omit the extra white. I've done that before, no problem at all.
Post a Comment