The cake rose to a nice height and browned evenly.
In my first attempt, I felt that the bananas fragrant were not strong enough so I added another 50g mashed banana to it. The cake is definitely more tastier with more liquid in it but I had a problem unmoulding it. I didn't wait for the cake to be completely cooled, it was still slightly warm and when I unmoulded it, a portion of it got stucked to the cake pan :-( Why can't I wait for another 1 hour before unmoulding? Lesson learnt, if I were to make another chiffon cake with a higher hydration ratio, I need to have more patience.
From this angle, can't tell that the cake has a big "hole" on it :P
I told myself I need to blend the bananas but again, I forgot... Looks like dementia is visiting me earlier :P But this time round, the bananas are finely mashed as I do not see the chucks in the cake :)
I'm sharing my modified recipe here.
Banana Chiffon Cake
4 egg yolks
30g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
180g mashed bananas
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda*
5 egg whites
30g castor sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
- Add oil and salt, whisk and add mashed bananas. Stir well.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in lemon juice and beat till soft peaks. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
- Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
- Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 15mins.
Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 25 mins.
- Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for another 10mins or till cake is cooked and nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.
Hi Blessed Homemaker ;)
Your chiffon has a very lovely, fine texture. Nevermind about the big hole - most impt is the taste, which I am sure is great! Oh, how I love banana cakes :)
Post a Comment