Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Steam Cod Fish with Mushroom

The 2 elder ones went over to their cousin's house for 2 nights sleepover. I thought I deserved this good break but somehow, life seem so boring without them. And since it was just DD3 and myself, our dinner tonight was just steam rice and fish. No veggies tonight as I was just plain lazy to bring out the pan :P


We like to eat steam fish with some sauce so I added in 2 tbsp of water. DD3 finished up the last drip of sauce :)

Steam Cod Fish with Mushroom
Ingredients
2 pcs Cod Fish Fillet/Steak (approx. 300g)
3-4 Dried Mushrooms, cut into slices (pre-soaked in water till soft)
Some Ginger, sliced

Seasonings
1.5 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp Martel
2 tbsp water
* mix together

PS: You may add more seasonings for taste but we prefer ours mildly flavoured.
Method
  1. Rinse mushroom and remove stems, soak in water till soft. Cut into slices.
  2. Rinse cod fillet/steak and place on plate.
  3. Mix all seasonings in a small bowl and spoon over cod fillet/steak.
  4. Arrange ginger and mushroom slices on top of fish.
  5. Put into steamer and steam for about 10 minutes.
  6. Serve warm.

Steaming rice takes a long time but I took a short-cut and cooked it partially using the microwave on high for 3 mins before transferring to the steamer. The fish was then stacked on a higher rack above the rice and steamed together for 10 mins. This is basically plain lazy way of cooking :P

8 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

I've not tried to steam rice before. It looks great! How long if I steam 1/2 cup of rice? Is the water propotion the same as cooking rice on stove?

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

有时吃些清清淡淡的也好!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

How a lazy way, but look delicious.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Grace,
If you are using the short-cut metohd like me ie using microwave, I believe you only need to steam it for 10 - 15 mins. I used to steam 2 tbsp of rice and it took me about 30 - 40mins to have piping hot steam rice. You may use slightly lesser water for steam rice.

Pearlyn,
Yes, we like ours that way :)

Sonia,
Thanks!

WendyinKK said...

Oh ya, water content for rice is slightly lower thann using a rice pot.

WendyinKK said...

I don't own a rice cooker and I double boil my rice everytime. My raw rice is washed and put into a stainless steel bowl, and filled with appropriate amt of water. I prepare a pot, with a small steaming rack in it, filled with water 1/2 inch above the rack. Put the rice (in bowl) into the pot, onto the rack, cover up and put on high heat until the water in the pot boils, then reduce to medium heat for another 20mins. I cook for 2:)If cooking for more, a slightly longer time will be needed.

My husband who was the one(now he doesn't, since I've turned into a SAHM) that used to wash dishes said, it makes washing up so much easier than washing a rice pot as all the rice granules are eaten up :)

WendyinKK said...

The rice granules are also much much nicer to eat, whole and smooth, but neither hard nor mushy.
Been doing this since uni days.

Sorry for so many comments, but I just get excited over knowing another person that steams rice.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Wendy,
I don't own a rice cooker too ;-) I love steamed rice and I agree with your comments, it just taste different. I've been steaming rice for years but I find it too time consuming so I switched to cook with my AMC pot instead. I still steam occassionally but of course, using the "cheat" method of partially cooking the raw rice in MW first :P