The batter was rather thick after adding the flour. I should have reduced the flour accordingly since I've added in 5 teaspoon of matcha. Instead of sprinkling sugar to make the cross, I used a chopstick dipped into oil and "cut" the batter prior to baking. It didn't work hahaha!
Everytime I make this, I replaced hong kong flour with cake flour. But I got slightly adventurous and decided to use plain flour instead. I sifted the flour 3 times before mixing into the beaten eggs, hoping that it will turn out soft and fluffy.
The cake was soft but not exactly fluffy (then again, I've bought some from stalls with such texture too). I suspect it was due to the addition of matcha or probably my weighing scale has gone bonkers (I'm using a cheap kitchen scale) and I've added more flour then needed. For my family, they ain't fussy eaters so they don't mind this texture ;-)
Steamed Matcha Sponge Cake (抹茶鸡蛋糕)
180g caster sugar
230g plain flour
5 heaped tsp matcha
75ml Sarsi (or any fizzy drinks)
- Use high speed beat eggs till fluffy.
- Add in sugar gradually and continue beating till well- blended, turn off the power.
- Fold in the flour in 3 portions.
- Add in Ingredients C and mix well.
- Pour mixture into 20cm round bamboo basket lined with glass paper till 90% full.
- Sprinkle a handful of sugar such that it forms a cross on the surface of mixture.
- Steam over high heat for half an hour.