Today, I added an extra teaspoon of matcha and the colour was a nice vibrant green and we could taste the matcha in this bread :)
Argh!! I forgot to take a picture of the loaf before slicing as I was in a hurry to pick up my cranky 20 months old. I'm happy with what I see inside :) Unfortunately, the kids and DH don't like the red bean paste and preferred the plain loaf.
Matcha Red Bean Milk Loaf
(Recipe adapted from Happy Homebaker)
250g fresh/UHT milk
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
500g bread flour
2tsp Instant yeast
70g butter (unsalted)
4 tsp matcha (green tea powder)
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Let the machine knead for 15mins, stop the cycle and re-start the machine and let the dough knead for another cycle.
- Let it proof in machine for 30 - 45 mins or till double in size.
- When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a big rectangle. The width of the dough should be slightly bigger than the length of your loaf tin/pan. Roll out the dough as long as you can manage. Spread the dough with a layer of red bean paste(or any filling of your choice). Roll up tightly (make as many rolls/turns as you can) swiss-roll style. Pinch the dough to seal the seam tightly.
- Place dough (seam side down) in lightly greased bread tin/pan. Cover with cling wrap and let the dough proof for the second time for about 45~60 mins.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 to 35mins.
- Remove bread to cool on rack completely.