Monday, December 14, 2009

Gingerbread Cookies

I finally found out what happened to blogger!  I was still using the old version and thus could only do text entry :P

------------------------------------------------------------

I've been lagging as DH was finally home last week after a 2 weeks' stay in Manila and we spent most of our time outdoors.  Brought kids to the Singapore Zoo (twice) and MacRitchie Reservoir Park.  The kids had a great time!

While DH was away, I baked alot as I didn't want to lug 3 kids to the stores to buy just a loaf of bread.  Thank goodness I've stocked up on quite alot of flour at home ;-)  To cut my story short, I'll just let the pictures do the talking.


My first attempt on decorated cookies.


Do you see the little dot on the right eye?  I don't know what happened but I get small dots like this one on some of the icing.

I first saw this recipe in Ginny's  blog 2 years ago but I didn't have time to make it.  I remember I bought a bottle of ground ginger then but kept till it expired but the bottle was still brand new, unopened!  Hahaha!

Finally found some time to make this but I replaced dark molasses with sugar syrup (from my mooncakes making).

I don't like crispy gingerbread cookie and had been in search for a soft cookie recipe.  If you are looking for one like me, look no further, this is it!

Gingerbread Cookies
Ingredients
63g butter, room temperature
85g light brown sugar
150g sugar syrup
438g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
70ml water

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
  2. Sift flour, soda, salt & spices together.
  3. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy, add molasses and cream till well mixed.
  4. Add in the flour and water alternately and mix till combined. 
  5. Rest mixture for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Roll dough on a very lightly floured surface or waxed paper and cut into your desired design. Decorate with currants or chocolate chips (or decorate with royal icing after cookies have cooled).
  7. Bake for between 10 - 12 minutes depending on the thickness of your cookies. Cookie is done when it springs back lightly when pressed.

5 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Glad you have finally resolved the problems, this cookie look great.

Aries said...

I love chewy gingerbread cookie.^-^ Nice shots and Thanks for sharing.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia,
I sure am! Else I'll have to stop blogging as it was really frustrating.

Bamk,
Thanks! Do give me your feedback when you make this.

Anonymous said...

How many molasses and cream do we need?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Original recipe uses 180g dark molasses but I replaced it with sugar syrup which is more watery, thus I reduced to 160g.

No cream in this recipe.