Monday, June 22, 2009

Blueberry Maple Frozen Yogurt

Following the episode on Blueberry Muffins, I have 5 more punnets of blueberries sitting in my fridge.


With so many punnets still very much alive in my fridge, I googled for recipes to utilise them. Found this super cool blog by Closet Cooking. He has loads of yummy recipes and most importantly, I found a recipe to utilise my blueberries!

After cooking the blueberries, maple syrup and sugar, I wasn't sure if this is the right texture. The blueberries exuded quite a fair bit of water and I was worried that it may be too watery after mixing in the yogurt. I drained them slightly, keeping a cup of liquid aside and dumped the berries into a blender. After mixing in the yogurt, I poured the reserved liquid back into the mixture.

Oh.. what a beautiful colour!!

As I do not have an ice cream maker, I did it the manual way. After mixing in the yogurt, the whole mixing bowl went into the freezer as I was too lazy to transfer them to a container since I'll need to scoop them out into the mixing bowl again later. After a good 3 hours, the yogurt has set about 70%, I took it out and mix it with my 350W mixer to break up the ice crystals. Back into the freezer for another 3 hours and beat it again.

Froze them in my ice pops tray and pudding moulds (yields 4).

DS2 is too eager to try this.


Verdict: Yummy! And a less sinful dessert as compared to ice CREAM ;-)

I'm posting my modified version for my own records as I've omitted pecans and reduced the sugar slightly. You may view the original recipe from here.

Blueberry Maple Frozen Yogurt
Ingredients
250g blueberries
130g sugar
60ml maple syrup
400ml plain yogurt

Method
  1. Heat the blueberries, sugar and maple syrup and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Remove from the heat.
  3. Let cool then mix in the yogurt and test for sweetness.
  4. Put in the freezer to freeze for 3 - 4 hours, beat once with electric mixer.
  5. Return to freezer for another 3- 4 hours, beat again.
  6. Pour into ice cream tub and freeze overnight.

3 comments:

test it comm said...

Your blueberry maple frozen yogurt looks great! And you made it without an ice cream maker!!

Ean said...

hi can i replace maple syrup with the golden syrup?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ean,
I'm sure you can, maybe even honey but you will have to test for sweetness.