Roast Pork (烧肉)
(Recipe adapted from here, here and here)
1 piece of pork belly (around 1kg)
1.5 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp five-spice powder
- Scald pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and cool the pork belly completely.
- Using a sharp pointed tool such as a chisel (I used a fork), pierce as many holes as possible onto the skin layer. Then score the skin using a sharp knife (see 2nd picture).
- Mix five-spice powder and salt together and rub the seasoning into the pork.
- Leave the pork belly in the fridge (uncovered) to season overnight. This will dry up the skin.
- Pre-heat oven up to 240C.
- Place pork belly (skin side up) on a rack with a tray lined with aluminium foil to collect the oil drippings.
- Roast the pork belly for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven and brush the skin with the diluted glazing.
- Reduce heat to 210C and continue to roast till you see " bubble " all over the skin.
- Cool completely before chopping into bite-size pieces and serve.