Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookie

DS2 was invited to a play date at his classmate's house yesterday. As it was only decided after school, I decided to fix up something quick and easy for him to bring along and cookies seem like the only answer.

Using the same recipe here, I added some cocoa powder and ground ginger for extra flavours.  Again, instead of using all chocolate chips, I replaced 1/2 portion with currants.

This recipe supposely yields 18 cookies but as I was rushing for time, I didn't want to bake 3 - 4 trays, with each tray baking for 15 mins.  So I used a tablespoon and scooped out a big heapful at a time and managed only 11 cookies (and that's only 2 trays).  Also, as I've reduced the butter slightly, the cookies didn't spread out as much and thus they were quite thick after baking.

Nevertherless, NQ's mother messaged me to say her parents enjoyed the cookies with a cup of coffee and commented that "IT'S OUT OF THE WORLD" ^-^

Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 11 cookies (10cm diameter, 1.5cm thick)

Ingredients
220 g all-purpose flour
1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
150 g unsalted butter, melted
120 g packed brown sugar *
40 g white sugar *
1 egg
1 egg yolk
340 g semisweet chocolate chips/currants

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
  2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
  4. Beat in the egg until light and creamy.
  5. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
  7. Drop cookie dough 3/4 tablespoon at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  8. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
  9. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.
  10. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Note
I still find it too sweet so you may want to reduce more sugar if you do not have a sweet tooth.

9 comments:

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I like chewy cookies but have never tried making before.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Angel, do give it a try, if you like chewy cookie, you'll like this recipe ;-)

Pei-Lin said...

Gasped! I miss chewy cookies so much! Brings back my memory of my time in the States! Like I said before, I'm so gonna make some after CNY! Argh ...!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Hello , how is your roasted pork ? My daughter love choc chip cookie and she made some during the school holiday last year. Will show her try your recipe...btw.. how long can we store cookies in an air tight container ? Thought of making some for CNY

WendyinKK said...

Wah.... u better hide them in ur cabinet properly, if not things for out of this world will come looking for it. Look out, I see Martians!!!!!!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Pei-Lin, waiting for your cookies ;-)

Pearlyn, the roast pork was great! For homemade cookies, I usually try to consume within 2 weeks if left in airtight containers. Sometimes I keep them in the fridge and kept for up to 1 month.

Wendy, hahaha!! That was hilarious!

fortunately happy said...

This recipe really looks yummy. Have always love chewy cookies, will definitely try one of the weekends!

fortunately happy said...

Looks yummy n love chewy cookies! Will definitely give it a try soon:)

Blessed Homemaker said...

fortunately happy,
Thanks for dropping by. I like chewy cookies too and I hope you'll like this recipe.