Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Poached Egg

My MIL always cook poached eggs whenever we have mee sua soup (面线汤).  She taught me a few times but I just can't seem to get it correct.  After several trial and error, I finally got it right :-)

Bring a pot of water to near boil and reduce heat to low.

Crack an egg into a bowl.  Using a pair of chopsticks/spoon, swirl it in the water in clockwise direction for a few seconds until you see a rapid.  Immediately pour the egg very slowly into the pot of hot water.

Let it cook for a few minutes (I cooked mine for about 3 mins).

Spoon the egg out of the pot with a straining ladle.  Serve!

7 comments:

Cosy Bake said...

wow, poaching eggs is one of the most tasking skills I must say. you did a really great job! I must practise poaching eggs too. looks really yummy!

Shopaholic2802 said...

Wow! I must do that for Josh, he loves sunnyside up eggs....this is a healthier alternative!

MsMoon said...

Swirl the water before cracking in the egg. This way, the uncooked egg will be centralised in the middle of the swirl and keep a nice round shape. Adding a few drops of vinegar to the water will help keep the egg white together too ^^

chicchicbaby said...

Nice! It will not stick to the pot?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Honey boy, you've just said it. It took me quite a while to master it :P

Shopaholic2802, my son loves to break the yolk and let it soak in his soup base, he calls it egg yolk soup.

Ms Moon, yes, that was what my MIL taught me too. But I don't like the taste of vinegar so I didn't add any.

chicchicbaby, it does stick a little to the base.

yuan said...

hi, just wondering, will it be a bit difficult to remove the egg from the pot when it's done? so, you pour away the water then slowly take out the egg?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Yuan,
It wasn't difficult to remove the egg, I used a big strainer and scoop out the egg from the pot before cracking in another egg to poach.