Friday, February 26, 2010

Broccoli and Scallops

Nephew DP is on a week's leave and I offered him lunch at my house.  I prepared some simple dishes and here's one of them.

I caught an episode of Mediacorp's 三菜一汤 (3 Plus 1 Season 2) and one of the chef mentioned that we shouldn't cook garlic with broccoli, instead ginger will compliment this vegetable better.  So I did mine with ginger oil now :)

Broccoli and Scallops
Ingredients

(A) Ginger Oil
1 thumbsize ginger, finely chopped
2 - 3 tbsp oil

(B) Vegetables
200g broccoli
10 - 15 frozen scallops
1 tbsp vegetable oil

(C) Sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp hot water
cornstarch solution (1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water, stir till dissolved)
* mixed together

Method

(A) Ginger oil
  1. Put ginger and oil in a microwaveable bowl.
  2. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, remove and give it a stir.
  3. Return bowl to microwave and cook for another 1.5 - 2 minutes.
  4. Set aside to cool.
(B) Blanching vegetables

  1. Wash broccoli under running water, trim the tough outer skin and cut into smaller florets.  Peel stalk and cut quarter lengthwise.
  2. Add vegetable oil to a pot of water and bring to boil.
  3. Add broccoli and blanch for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove and plunge the blanched broccoli in cold water to prevent them from overcooking.
  4. Add scallops to the boiling water and cook for around 2 minutes, remove.
  5. Arrange broccoli and scallops on a plate.
  6. Drizzle the sauce and ginger oil over the vegetables.

8 comments:

Lia Chen said...

Broccoli and Scallops perfect combination! I am hungry to just look at the picture :) Have a nice weekend!!

WendyinKK said...

Simple lunch???

Gosh... Simple it may be but it's luxurious!!

WendyinKK said...

Actually,
I think if u use very little water to blanch the scallops, then use that water (plus some cornstarch, chicken stock powder) to make an egg drop gravy to put onto the brocolli.
It will be even better.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

That looks so simple and so yummy

Kristina Strain said...

Sounds good! Broccoli has to be my favorite fast-dinner vegetable, it cooks so fast!

Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade

Happy Homebaker said...

I didn't know that garlic cannot be used for this dish. I always use garlic to stir fry all my vegetable dishes! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Lia/Lady Ren, thanks!

Wendy, simple ie not much effort preparing the dish.

I had initially planned to steam the scallops and use the water for the sauce but was afraid it may taste fishy. Thanks for sharing, I've learnt alot from you :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Kristina, thanks for visiting! I love broccoli too :)

HHB, I've been cooking all my vegetables with garlic too :P We just learn along the way ;)