Saturday, February 27, 2010

Watercress Soup

My kids love any melts in the mouth vegetables and a good way to get them to eat more greens is to cook them in soup!

Watercress was on offer at our local supermarket and I bought 2 bundles.  We don't like the stalk so I usually cook it with the meat first, dish out the stalks 1 hour later and throw in the leafy portion to cook for another hour.

Watercress Soup
Ingredients
500g watercress
500g pork ribs/lean meat
2 litres water
15 - 20 red dates (红枣)
salt to taste (optional)

Method
  1. Blanch pork ribs/lean meat. 
  2. Bring 2 litres of water to boil and add all ingredients in a pot.  Using medium fire, bring water to boil again, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours.
  3. Season with salt before serve.

5 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Haha!! U cook it the same way as I do. Stalk first, take out and then leaves. Usually I see people cooking everything together.

It's on my blog too!!!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

This soup looks so good and so healthy. I will look out for watercress next time I am at the Asian market.

MaryMoh said...

Just the type of soup that I like. It's very good for hot weather.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, my sister cooks it this way too :)

Lady Ren, hope you can get some from your Asian stores.

MaryMoh, are you able to get watercress in Scotland? It is definitely a great soup for the hot weather :)

My Little Space said...

I miss this soup very much. Seldom cook it cause my hubby and the kids don't like it that much. Btw, the soup looks great! Have a good day.