Made these in March 2012
I've bookmarked this recipe from Wendy's blog for the longest time but just couldn't find a chance to make it. The body engine just refuse to ignite. Along the way, this recipe was forgotten until I saw Wendy's Rose Mantou, so pretty!!
I tried my hands on rose shaping but see how they turned out, pathetic looking roses. After the 2nd proof, the dough look nothing like roses, just a pile of mess :-(
Googled and found this easy to make rose method by Kristy. With some leftover lotus paste from last year's mooncake making, I used them as fillings here.
Soft and fluffy inside, not too sweet too. I like :-)
Sweet Potato Mantou Recipe
250g steamed sweet potato
150ml water (if using purple sweet potato, use 200ml water)
500g Pau/Hong Kong/Super Lite flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g shortening/Crisco (I used butter instead)
1/4 tsp salt
11g instant yeast (I used 3 tsp)
- Mash sweet potato, or blitz sweet potato with 120ml water to get a fine paste.
- With balance of water, mix with yeast.
- Combine everything except shortening and mix to form a dough.
- Put in shortening and knead until dough is smooth. Add slightly more flour is dough is way too sticky to handle. If the dough is sticky but can retain its form, like not slacking down, just continue to knead, the gluten just hasn’t form, there’s no need to add extra flour.
- Cover and let dough proof until double, about 45 mins.
- Punch down dough and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 50gm portions and shape accordingly.
- Cover and let the formed dough proof until doubled for another 45 minutes.
- Steam on high heat for 12 minutes.
Wow! so pretty!!!!
Post a Comment