Water Chestnut Soup
500g pork ribs
2 - 2.5 litres water
10 - 12 water chestnuts (马蹄)
8 - 10 red dates (红枣)
1 big or 2 medium carrots
Salt to taste (optional)
- Brush water chestnuts to remove all soil. Remove the skin/shell by cutting off the top and bottom, then cut around the sides to remove all the skin. Soak in a bowl of water and set aside.
- Remove skin of carrots and cut into smaller pieces.
- Rinse red dates and soak in water for 5 - 10 mins or till soft.
- Blanch ribs/lean meat.
- Bring water to boil and add all ingredients in a pot. Using medium fire, bring water to boil again and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salt to taste (optional) before serve.