Friday, July 22, 2011

Creative Swiss Rolls

I cannot remember how long ago it was but I'm able to post any comments in blogger.  I'm unable to login to my Google Account and whatever post is signed off as Anonyomous.  Anyone has the same problem?

The last time I baked a cake was back in April, where I baked a pandan chiffon cake for my birthday.  To date, the pictures are still sitting in my harddisk and I've not updated my blog :P  When I saw July's Aspiring Bakers - Swiss Roll, I knew it's time to get my engine started again.

Reese made this Creative Srawberry Swiss Roll and I thought it was cute. I wanted to try my hands on it but just couldn't find the time. With Aspiring Bakers, what a perfect excuse to bake some swiss rolls ;-)

I didn't want to spend too much time on designing the strawberries so I just piped them into hearts instead.

I didn't do justice to this cake because the pictures were taken on a late afternoon where the sun was setting.  I took 3 pictures of the cut cake and they were either overexposed or too dim.  This is the best I have.

Verdict:  Yields a soft and light cake.

If you are comfortable with chiffon method, this recipe is really quick and easy.  Just make sure you've got all the ingredients measured out before you proceed, it helps.

With DS2's teachers in mind, I made another batch the next day, this time round with DD3 as my assistant.  She helped to choose the colours and mixed them :-)

The baked cake, unrolled.

This is the only rolled up cake I have as I didn't have time to cut and pack.  After my routine trip to the local supermarket, I prepared the cake before I cooked lunch.  Yes, it is that quick and easy!  However, by the time the cake is cooled, I didn't have enough time to chill it in the fridge and it was time to fetch DS2.  So the rolls were given to DS2's Form Teacher and his Mother Tongue teacher in this state.  I'm glad they like the cake but I think I can do better next time.

Let your creativity run wild!  Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury to spend too much time on it.  Maybe next time during the school holidays, I'll get DD1 to design her very own cake.


Creative Swiss Roll
Recipe seen here
Adapted from 小本
(with slight modifications on ingredients and method)

Ingredients
(A)
6 egg yolks
20g sugar
60g fresh milk
45g corn oil
100g plain flour/cake flour
15g corn flour

(B)
1/2 egg whites, ~ 20g
10g sugar

(C)
5.5 egg whites
70g sugar (I used 55g)

(D)
red colour paste

Method

  • Lightly whisk the egg yolks together with 20g sugar.  Add in fresh milk and corn oil, mix well.
  • Sift in plain/cake flour and corn flour and stir well.  Set aside.

  • Spoon out 30g egg yolk batter (about 2 tbsp) and mix in red colouring. Mix well.
  • Whisk the egg whites and sugar (ingredients B) till medium peak form and mix with the prepared 30g egg yolk batter. Stir well.
  • Spoon the pink batter into a piping bag with tip #3 (I just used a plastic bag and cut a small hole). Pipe some heart shape onto lined tray (11"x14").
  • Bake at 180'C for 1.5 minute, remove from oven.

  • In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till 5.5 egg whites are frothy. Add in 55g sugar gradually and beat till stiff peak.
  • Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  • Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated
  • Pour batter into prepared pan (the half-baked hearts).
  • Using a spatula, level the top evenly.
  • Bake @ preheated oven of 180C for 12 - 13 mins.
  • When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool completely.
  • Spread a layer of whipped cream/butter cream/jam onto the sponge cake. Roll it up and chill in fridge before serving.

5 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I think the cake is pretty & very nicely rolled and most importantly the receiver loved it.  hope you will bake & post more since it's such a fast cake to bake. 

WendyinKK said...

Oh yes, I do hear lots of bloggers having that problem.
I heard to prevent that, unclick the "stay signed in" at the blogger page.

Anonymous said...

Your swiss roll looks yummy and very cute. Theresa

Dorina said...

An interesting ideea.

Veronica said...

Your swiss rolls look so sweet and pretty. I've never been successful in making swiss rolls.