I usually fry chayote with garlic and salt so when I saw this recipe here, I wanted to give it a try because I love black fungus! However, I couldn't find the fresh black fungus at the supermarket so I replaced it with dried ones.
I personally prefer this version but my 2 elder kids hated black fungus. I believe for every different kind of food introduced, the taste is acquired so I'm definitely going to cook this again next time.
Stir-Fry Chayote with Fresh Black Fungus
(Recipe adapted from Tigerfish's blog)
1 Chayote, peeled and thinly sliced (佛手瓜/合掌瓜)
dried black fungus, rinsed and sliced
salt and white pepper to taste
drizzle of sesame oil
2-3 slices of ginger
- Wash and soak black fungus in water till soften. Slice thinly and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add ginger and fry till fragrant.
- Add the chayote slices and fry briskly.
- Add the black fungus, fry and mix well with the chayote.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of water and allow to simmer at low-medium heat till chayote slightly softens.
- Salt and white pepper to taste and drizzle with sesame oil before serving.