Monday, September 13, 2010

Watermelon Popsicles

Some weeks back, I bought a not so red and sweet watermelon.  When I end up with a watermelon like this, I usually juice them.  But kids were asking for ice cream and instead of feeding them store bought sugar loaded ice cream, I decided to make some watermelon popsicles for them.  A much healthier version ;-)


I saw this recipe by Williams Sonoma but adjusted the recipe a little.  The sugar used seem too much so I went easy on it.  And instead of using salt, I added some lime juice which DH commented was a great combination ^-^

A perfect treat for a hot weather!

Watermelon Popsicles
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Sweet Treats, by Carolyn Beth Weil (Simon & Schuster, 2006).

Ingredients
4 1/2 cups watermelon chunks
1 - 2 tbsp sugar (you can omit this if your watermelon is sweet)
1 lime juice

Method
  1. Cut the watermelon in chunks and remove any seeds you can see.
  2. In a blender, combine the watermelon chunks, sugar and lime juice. Blend the mixture till the mixture turns into liquid.
  3. Pour the mixture into popsicles mould and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
  4. Run the molds under warm water for 30 seconds to release the pops. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Lisa Chan said...

Thanks for sharing this.. i bought the ice cream stick mould for long time but yet to try any. Will for sure try out your recipe. :)

WendyinKK said...

I'd love to have one of these now.
It's so so hot today,and laundry dried within a few hours only.

Cosy Bake said...

Oohh.... This looks so good! Especially in the hot day like this! Hmmm.....

Kitchen Corner said...

Oh yes, this is quite a healthy refreshing dessert for this hot weather. Good choice for children... and me too!

busygran said...

Popsicles remind me of my childhood days! Nothing like using natural fruit!

ann low said...

WOW! This is really easy and I want to try this too :) Thanks for sharing.

Bakericious said...

this is so refreshing for such weather now!

Bakertan said...

Hi blessed homemaker,

this is very good stuff. I want one also, haha. My home used to have a popsicle mould which we got for free by buying horlicks. now we dun have it liao. That was very long time back liao... more than 10+ yrs ago when i was still in secondary sch. really brings back the good old memories.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for all your comments. Do give it a try as it's basically very natural ingredients used if you omit sugar ;-)