Friday, September 3, 2010

Char Siew/Siu

I've got a broken nail while peeling potatoes so can't do much cooking and washing :'(  And I'm typing this with one hand, feels so handicapped.

Just to share what I've cooked for dinner some weeks ago, homemade char siew/char siu.  I always use my trusted AMC recipe but today I decided to try Baking Mum's recipe with some modifcations.  The taste is very much the same. 

Can you spot my little one hiding at a corner?  She was trying to pinch some food off the plate.  My kids love homemade Char Siew/Siu :-)

Char Siew
Ingredients
500 gm pork shoulder (wu hua)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp rice wine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
some pepper
a few cloves of garlic

PS: For instructions and step-by-step pictures, please visit Baking Mum's blog for I didn't follow her instructions as I cooked using AMC method.

10 comments:

ann low said...

Oh dear, this must be painful :(
The char siew looks so delicious, I bet it's soft and tender.

Cooking Gallery said...

I am sorry for your finger, but I can't help drolling over your char sui. Looks so good....!

WendyinKK said...

I've tried her recipe too, nice and yummy.

DD3 can't wait for the char siew to go down.. hahaha!!!

Unknown said...

Lovely Char Siew. Looks very delicious. Did you put any red colouring? Thnaks for sharing dear :) Happy blogging.

ariescovis said...

beautifull chasiu.

Bakericious said...

BH, speedy recovery! The char siew looks so nice, I love char siew and I just had char siew noodle for lunch if not I wil sure dash out to get for my dinner :P

MaryMoh said...

Oooooh...my favourite. Beautiful presentation. I have to make too :D

busygran said...

I like the char siew. Looks succulent! I too have AMC pots but I have yet to make char siew. Perhaps I'll try out your recipe! :)

Bakertan said...

Hi Blessed homemaker,

your char siew looks juicy and well done. I tried doing char siew twice but I used the wrong brand/type of meat - air pork frozen meat. the meat is totally no good! has a porky stench to it.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Bakertan,
I've not tried using air flown frozen pork to make this but I do get the porky stench when I cook them in soup/stir fries.