Monday, July 25, 2011

Swiss Roll Ice Cream Cake

I'm suffering from a bad eczema attack and don't much feel like baking.  The itch is killing me despite taking antihistamine pills and applying steriod cream (which I hated).  But I always console myself that this is nothing as compared to cancer patients who need to go through chemotherapy.  I'm sure they suffer more than me so I'm not complaining about my own condition.

We celebrated DD1's 9th birthday yesterday.  After googling on the internet for the past week, I decided on a swiss roll ice cream cake (I got the idea from Daring Bakers Challenge, July 2010) .  Reason being, I won't have time to bake and frost a cake over the weekend, so the easiest way is to buy ice cream from the stores and cover it up with swiss rolls.

It seemed simple, so much so that I took it for granted and didn't start baking the cake until 11pm on Saturday night.  It was a big mistake.  The swiss roll needs to be chilled before slicing, and the ice cream needs to be frozen layer by layer.  I was literally rushing through the whole process and only slept at 2am, with the cake only 75% completed.

The layers should go this way:- 1. swiss roll, 2. raspberry ice cream, 3. chocolate fudge and 4. chocolate chips ice cream.  I only managed to cook the fudge at the wee hours while waiting for the raspberry ice cream to harden.  Was rushing through to cool the fudge down in order to pour it into the prepared pan so I could catch up with my beauty sleep.  Everything looked perfect until I saw the cake the next morning.  What a disappointment!  The raspberry ice cream were not set enough and with the warm chocolate fudge, they decided to combine into one.  Argh!!  I was so angry with myself for not preparing the cake earlier. But there's nothing else I can do except to just go ahead and complete the cake.

A cross-section of the cut cake. 

What a pity, I say :-(


Nevertheless, the birthday girl is happy to see her cake :-)
 
I'm submitting this to Aspiring Bakers: #9 Swiss Rolling Good Times by Obsessedly Involved with Food.

I used the same recipe here but just omit the decorative part.

Swiss Roll Ice Cream Cake
Ingredients
(A)
6 egg yolks
20g sugar
60g fresh milk
45g corn oil
100g plain flour/cake flour
15g corn flour

(B)
6 egg whites
70g sugar

(C)
Ice cream of your choice, 2 flavours

Method
  1. Lightly whisk the egg yolks together with 20g sugar.
  2. Add in fresh milk and corn oil, mix well.
  3. Sift in plain/cake flour and corn flour and stir well.  Set aside.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till egg whites are frothy. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peak.
  5. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  6. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  7. Pour batter into lined 11" x 14" pan.
  8. Using a spatula, level the top evenly.
  9. Bake @ preheated oven of 180C for 12 - 13 mins.
  10. When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool completely.
  11. Spread a layer of whipped cream/butter cream/jam onto the sponge cake. Roll it up and chill in fridge.

Chocolate Fudge
Ingredients
200g caster sugar (I used 150g)
3 tbsp of natural unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ cup water
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract (I omit)

Method
  1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornflour and water.
  2. Place the pan over heat, and stir constantly, till it begins to thicken and is smooth (for about 2 minutes).
  3. Remove from heat and mix in the butter and vanilla. Keep aside to cool .

Assembly
  1. Cut the Swiss rolls into equal slices.
  2. Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl (I used a loaf pan instead) in which you are going to set the dessert with cling film/plastic wrap. 
  3. Arrange swiss roll slices at the bottom and sides of the pan, with their seam sides facing away from the pan.
  4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze till the slices are firm. (I missed out this step)
  5. Soften the first flavoured ice cream (for my case, it's raspberry ripple). Take the bowl out of the freezer, remove the cling film cover and add the ice cream on top of the cake slices. Spread it out to cover the bottom and sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze till firm.
  6. Add the fudge sauce over the first layer of ice cream (chocolate chip ice cream for me), cover and freeze till firm (I left it overnight).
  7. Soften the second flavoured ice cream and spread it over the fudge sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4-5 hours till completely set .
  8. Remove the plastic cover, and place the serving plate on top of the bowl. Turn it upside down and remove the bowl and the plastic lining. If the bowl does not come away easily, wipe the outsides of the bowl with a kitchen towel dampened with hot water. The bowl will come away easily.
  9. Keep the cake out of the freezer for at least 10 minu

8 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Usually ice cream cakes made with swiss rolls are made dome shaped, but rectangular seems nice too.
I think your girl likes the fresh change to ice cream.. kids simply are crazy for ice cream.

BTW, have you tried avoiding dairy to stop your eczema?

muimui said...

Ya! Eczema are definitely a killer. That's the reason why my DH and son can't take seafood. Heard that taking seahorse herbal does help. Hopefully, you are recovering soon. Put more lotion on the affected area too. :)

Dorina said...

Looks so good ...i'm drooling

Aunty Liew said...

Hopefully you are fully recovered from the sickness by the time I read this post.

And Happy Belated Birthday to your DD1^^.

I really respect you as you had such a spirit and "heart" to make celebration cake for your family when you were still in sick.

Whatever the cake looks like it was still great in taste, right?

Edith said...

Anything that made out of love is always delicious.

ann low said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alice said...

this looks delicious to me! :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
I don't have enough freezer space for dome shaped pan so just make do with whatever can fit into the freezer hahaha...

Wendy,Muimui
Unfortunately for my eczema, the possibilities can be dust, paint, stress, etc... It is not food related. I've been apply moisturizer diligently and have stayed away from steriod for a while.