Friday, May 20, 2011

Malacca, March 2011 - Part 2

Here's part 2 of our Malacca trip back in March.  We are planning another trip to Malacca, but unfortunately Courtyard is fully booked on the dates we want.  In fact, most of the hotels along Jonker Street are fully booked.  There are a few other boutique hotels available but after reading the reviews @ Trip Advisor, I decided to venture further and give the ones at Jonker a miss.  I explored the possibility of staying @ Holiday Inn as I've heard so much rave but the busy traffic across the hotel made me change my mind.  A few other hotels with good reviews from Trip Advisor are fully booked too.  So left with no other options, I settled for a budget hotel that is newly refurbished.  I do hope we will have a pleasant stay there.

Enough said, here are more pictures of Courtyard.

This is the view opposite our room.

This is our room.  There is a huge window but it cannot be opened.

A dressing table just beside the window, as a decoration.


This layout is found in their inner yard, just behind reception area. Fengshui?

I like these furnitures!  Not that I like to have them in my house but I feel that these nostalgia furniture gives the hotel character.

Walkway towards the rear, leading to the carpark. 

Breakfast area

We didn't have a chance to visit Teo Soon Loong Chan Teochew Seafood Restaurant  last year and since our room wasn't available for early check-in, we went for lunch first.

It is easy to overlook this restaurant as it is located in a quiet alley with a not so prominent signboard.  In addition, the kitchen is at the entrance of the restaurant and it looks very rundown.  Nevertheless, we found it by asking the locals for directions.

There are a few things to take note if you are planning to have a meal there:
  1. Reservations is a MUST. We didn't but being the first customer (they are open at 12.30pm but we were there at 12.20pm), they allowed us a table.  Contact number 606-282 2353.
  2. You can't really dictate how you want the food to be cooked.  You basically choose your ingredients from the counter and the rest, you leave it to the cook/chef. 
  3. Absolutely no food wastage.  Why do I say that?  That's because they do not allow you to over order.  Also, before they clear the plates away, they'll make sure the plate is empty ie no leftovers.  If there's even a mouthful of food left, the staff will it scoop up and serve to the person nearest to him.
  4. Dessert (yam dessert/orh nee and fresh mango) is mandatory.  We didn't order, it was served and charged to our bill.

Oyster Noodle (RM16).  I'm not a fan of cooked oysters but since this is one of their signature dish, we went ahead to order this.  No regrets!

Stir-fry vegetable (RM10).  Not appealing looking but taste is not too salty, suits our taste bud. 

Tofu with minced meat (RM9).  This looks like a boring dish but it is absolutely fabulous.  The gravy goes well with rice too.  I don't usually eat minced meat outside but this is a must try for all!


Spring roll (RM9).  Besides the tofu, my kids like this dish too.  Maybe because it's deep fried?

Steamed prawns with ginger wine (RM25).  We wanted to order steamed fish but the only fish DH eats must be "bone-less" (that's because I always debone for him back home).  I reckon I won't have much time to debone for the 4th person so we changed our order to steamed prawns instead.  We like the simplicity of this dish.

This goes well with the steamed prawns!  There's another condiment on the table, sambal belachan with anchovies, which was absolutely yummy too!

I didn't manage to take pictures of their famous yam dessert/orh nee (RM18) as I was busy cleaning up after the kids.  Again, I don't appreciate yam dessert (served with pumpkin and gingko nuts) but the dessert served is really smooth and thick.  The fresh mango (RM8) was so-so too, I think the ones we bought at Machap stopover tasted better.

Our bill added up to RM128.60, including 4 glasses of freshly squeezed juice. Will I come again? Most definitely! Want to try their soft shell crab and suckling pig!

Of course, we visited the ever famous Jonker 88 again.  However, I thought this trip was a letdown as the cendol wasn't as tasty and fragrant.  It wasn't as satisfying as the first time.  Maybe they have changed the gula melaka and coconut milk supplier?  Will I go back there again?  Maybe, might try out again this coming trip to see if their standard has improved. 






These interesting words of wisdom caught my attention again and this time round, I remember to take some pictures.


15 comments:

Shereen said...

Hi there,
Just to let you know, the orh nee and mango is not a mandatory order.Maybe the uncle just forget to ask you and assume since you are a tourist,you might like to try.For the suckling pig, you need to pre-order a day ahead but sometimes when you are lucky,they might have an extra pig or two to spare.Another dish that is nice is the braised/stewed bittergourd with ribs..they are delicious.Another must order for my family is the prawn stuff sea cucumber or any cooking style for the day for sea cucumber.Before migrating to NZ,we celebrate our son's birthday every year in that restaurant and every week, at least twice a week we will eat in that place.I am not a great fan of chinese cuisine but this restaurant is an exception.

WendyinKK said...

Budget hotel? But don't look that budget to me, looks quite good in fact.

Umm Mymoonah said...

I'm just falling in love with this place and food, looks classic.

The Experimental Cook said...

That is one very exquisite hotel you stayed. May I know the name of the hotel and how will you rate it? Would love your comment. Thanks !

Anonymous said...

I just came across your site, as I was looking for matcha recipes. This is a lovely collection and I look forward to following you for more recipe inspiration! Thank you.

Jo said...

Hmm brings back old memories of my trips to Malacca. I usually stay at Hotel Puri, just behind Jonkers but have to book way ahead as it is always full. Heard Malacca is now so full of tourist, bus loads of them in fact. I regularly visit the Teochew restaurant too. Yes have to book as it is so small and have limited tables. Yummy, I am now salivating just looking at the photos.

My Little Space said...

Thanks for sharing those useful Chinese writing which is so meaningful. I have to agree with every single words on it. Btw, Melaka actually brought me back to loads of sweet memories. I took my wedding photos at the ancient nyonya restaurant around Jonker Walk and also at the Red House & A'Farmosa. *wink*
Thanks for sharing. have a lovely weekend.
Kristy

Joelle Kong said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker,

I came across your food blog and would like to invite you to our blogger networking events in Singapore. Could you kindly contact me at joelle@siren-communication.com so that I can provide you with more details? Thanks!

Best regards,
Joelle Kong
Siren Communication

Blessed Homemaker said...

Shereen,
Thanks for the info on suckling pig. We have just returned from our 3rd visit to Malacca but didn't get a chance to eat at the teochew restaurant as they were fully booked. Yes, I've read up about their stewed bittergourd with ribs, hope to get a chance to try it one day.

Wendy,
This is not a budget hotel, it's the same boutique hotel we stayed ie Courtyard @ Heeren.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Umm Mymoonah,
I fell in love with this place too!

The Experimental Cook,
This is Courtyard @ Heeren. You can view the interior of their Deluxe Family Room here. I'll rate this 4.5/5 for their great service!

http://blessedhomemaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/malacca-march-2011-part-i.html

Blessed Homemaker said...

ricekernel,
Thanks for visiting and leaving me a note. You've got a beautiful blog :-)

Jo,
We have just returned form Malacca and we stayed over at Hotel Puri. My son said it's the BEST hotel he has ever stayed so far, hahaha!

Blessed Homemaker said...

ricekernel,
Thanks for visiting and leaving me a note. You've got a beautiful blog :-)

Jo,
We have just returned form Malacca and we stayed over at Hotel Puri. My son said it's the BEST hotel he has ever stayed so far, hahaha!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Kristy,
I love those Chinese words of wisdom too. Must constantly remind ourselves that life is full of ups and downs. And when we are feeling down, we must be thanking that there are jerks out there to strengthen our minds and souls. Hahaha!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Joelle,
Thanks for dropping by.

Rhubarb Cake said...

Hi! Just came across your blog. Love it! Lots of reading here...I will add it to my favourites and stop by again!

Looks like a very unique place to stay...

You mention you are a stay at home Mom...good for you! Motherhood is a high calling...more important than any career!
You may not see it immediately, but you will reap your rewards when they are older...trust me, I am a stay at home Mom (now a Nana to almost 4), and I am Sooo glad I have the relationship with our kids, and their spouses that I do.

God is Good.!
Regards,
Lois