During my last trip to Melaka, I stocked up on quite a bit of gula melaka. With an abundance supply sitting in my fridge, I googled for recipes to utilise them.
Found a few gula melaka agar agar recipes but decided to go for this one (by Amy of Che Cheh) which has minimal ingredients.
The coconut milk I used is not the suggested thick coconut milk. I'm always willing to compromise on taste for a healthier version dessert/snack. Anyway, my coconut layer occupies 2/3 of the whole layer. Could this be due to the skim coconut milk used?
500ml water180g gula melaka, chopped roughly (I used 160g)
3 teaspoons agar powder
1 pandan leaf, tied into a knot
300ml thick coconut milk (I used skim coconut milk)
pinch of salt
- Place water, gula melaka, agar agar powder and pandan leaf into a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until agar powder is completely dissolves.
- Remove pandan leaf.
- Add a pinch of salt to coconut milk and pour it into the same pan.
- Bring it to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Pour jelly into a glass bowl or cake tin.
- Leave jelly to cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
- The jelly should separate nicely into 2 layers – a clear gula melaka layer on the bottom and a coconut layer on top.