This is very much like the papaya dessert I've prepared here and here. But this time round, instead of using papaya, I replaced it with fresh sea coconut. It is believed that sea coconut eliminates phlegm and relieves cough.
Fresh sea coconut from local supermarket.
Sea Coconut with White Fungus Dessert
Ingredients1.5 litres water
10 fresh sea coconuts
20 - 30g white fungus
1/2 - 3/4 cup dried longans
20 - 25 red dates (I used pitted ones)
rock sugar to taste
- Wash and soak white fungus till soft. Remove the stalk and separate into petals.
- Wash and remove the endocarp (light brown skin) off the sea coconut and sliced.
- Bring water to a boil. Add sea coconut and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add white fungus and red dates, bring to boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add dried longans and rock sugar to taste. Cook till rock sugar dissolves.
- Serve hot or cold.