Friday, February 18, 2011

Sea Coconut with White Fungus Dessert

This is very much like the papaya dessert I've prepared here and here. But this time round, instead of using papaya, I replaced it with fresh sea coconut.  It is believed that sea coconut eliminates phlegm and relieves cough.


Fresh sea coconut from local supermarket.

After removing the endocarp (light brown skin), this is how it looks like.

This dessert may be served hot or cold but my kids prefer it cold.

Sea Coconut with White Fungus Dessert
Ingredients
1.5 litres water
10 fresh sea coconuts
20 - 30g white fungus
1/2 - 3/4 cup dried longans
20 - 25 red dates (I used pitted ones)
rock sugar to taste

Method
  1. Wash and soak white fungus till soft. Remove the stalk and separate into petals.
  2. Wash and remove the endocarp (light brown skin) off the sea coconut and sliced.
  3. Bring water to a boil.  Add sea coconut and cook for about 15 minutes.
  4. Add white fungus and red dates, bring to boil again.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
  5. Add dried longans and rock sugar to taste.  Cook till rock sugar dissolves.
  6. Serve hot or cold.

5 comments:

ann low said...

I love white fungus in sweet soup, next time I will add the sea coconut like yours. Looks so yummy!

WendyinKK said...

This is the perfect dessert for me on this hot hot day.
For me, I prefer red dates that comes with seeds, and I remove them myself. The taste is somehow better in my opinion.
I also heard from herbalist that the pitted ones tend to taste sourish due to certain "preservatives" to prevent the pitted ones from being contaminated.

Bakertan said...

hey blessed homemaker,

so this is how fresh sea coconut loos like. looks like palm fruit instead. Is the sea coconut easy to find in most supermarts?

I'm gonna bookmark this recipe. thanks for sharing!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anncoo,
Give me black or white fungus, I like them all!

Wendy,
The weather is getting really hot these days, what's more with your pregnancy, feels hotter right?

Hmm... I didn't know about the chemical part. Not sure if I have time to remove the seeds myself.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Bakertan,
I'm staying in the east and I bought the sea coconut from Sheng Shiong Bedok. I can't find them in NTUC Bedok/Simei/Tampines.