Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nutella Oatmeal Chocolate Chips Cookies

It is a chore talking to some people who do not know the predicaments you are in and yet act smart by giving all sorts of ideas/suggestions.  I thank you for your suggestions but I'll appreciate if you could just shut your trap.  Best appreciated if you could lend a listening ear, that's all I'm asking for.  I am a SAHM, you are not.  You have a helper, I don't.  So, we are in totally different situations.  Don't use your experience on mine, it doesn't work that way.

Alright, enough of my rantings.  2 more days to Children's Day and DD1 asked if I could bake some chocolate chips cookies for her to bring to school for their class party.  I wasn't sure as she has a few Muslim friends.  I explained to her, hoping that she can understand the difference between Halal and Non-Halal food.  Anyway, I promised her I'll do it for her, since she asked but just to warn her Muslim friends that these cookies are non-Halal.

With a big bottle of Nutella sitting in my fridge waiting to be expired, I googled for some cookie recipes and saw one by The Nesting Project.  Looks like a simple recipe so I went ahead with it but reduced sugar by a fraction.  While creaming the butter and sugars, I felt that the sugars seemed too much, what's more with the addition of Nutella.  So, with the mixed sugars, I removed 40g of it and they went into the bin.  I did a check on one of my oatmeal cookie and realised that the ingredients used are quite similar, but the sugar used were only 100g (I don't have sweet tooth).  Faint!  For this recipe I added 175g, removed 40g, total usage 135g.  Fingers crossed.

The final cookie tasted sweet, too sweet to my liking but my kids love it.  DD1 just couldn't stop eating!

I hope the children in school will enjoy them as much as DD1.

Recipe halved, makes 50 X 5cm cookies

Ingredients
110g unsalted butter
100g light brown sugar} mixed together and removed 40g from it
70g caster sugar          } next time can just omit caster sugar
35g nutella
1 large egg
110g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I omit)
130g rolled oats
100g chocolate chips

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
  • Cream together the softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth and creamy.
  • Add nutella, then the egg and beat well (if you are making full recipe, add egg one at a time).
  • Add in vanilla and mix well.
  • Add flour in 3 - 4 addition and beat until incorporated.
  • Stir in the rolled oats and chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
  • Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking tray.
  • Flatten the cookies slightly and bake the cookies for about 15 - 20 minutes
  • Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes. I love reading your blog. I must say you are a wonderful mum. ;)

WendyinKK said...

It's so nice of you to be sensitive to people of other religions. Not many are like you.

These cookies, if not enough sugar, dun have the same crunch. I too try to reduce, but not too much. But American recipes can really be crazily sweet and I usually go by 33% reduction. Things that I consider too sweet, my girls love it too. Even too salty, they say it's nice. But if I undersalt the soup, they say not nice. That's why I can make macarons,they like it. LOL.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for visiting Anonymous but I'll appreciate if you could leave your name or initials next time.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
You are right. I realized western recipes are usually very sweet and despite reducing, still too sweet for me. Not some recipes you just can't cut down too much sugar else it might alter the texture :(

I've not perfect my macs yet. After my 3 episodes, I chicken out now hahaha... Maybe I'll try again when I have "nothing better to do"

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I don't see the Nutella being use in any methods? Did you left out the 35g Nutella?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sorry, missed out in the steps. Have edited my posting.